3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Thu Aug 8 22:39:45 EST 2002

Andrew -

You can go ahead and compile the kernel.

Use the packages that are compiled for 8.0.  I'm not sure which CD these
will be on; 1 or 2.  Using the packages for 8.2 may or may not work, and
isn't worth trying.  :)

kernel-headers is about 1MB, and if you don't already have it, glibc-devel
is about 10MB.  they'll take a few minutes to install.

try going for kernel-headers first, using "rpm -i".  rpm will tell you if
there are any dependencies.  Just mount the first CD, cd into the
Mandrake/RPMS directory on it, and "rpm -i kernel-headers...<whatever the
version is>"

As for cutting and pasting, usually highlighting the text you want, moving
the mouse to the target window, and clicking both mouse buttons at the
same time works.  if you have a wheel mouse, try clicking down on the
wheel if clicking both buttons doesn't work.

HTH

--mandi