[Techtalk] RE: Window manager help!!

Mick Timony madra at gis.net
Thu Aug 8 20:08:30 EST 2002

It could be caused by gpm.
To quote the man page gpm is:
	 - a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles
It allows you to use a mouse in the virtual consoles. Sometimes you can
end up with the X and gpm fighting over the mouse control pointer. To
turn off gpm cd to /etc/init.d as root, and look for a file named gpm.
If that file exists issue the following comand to stop gpm:
./gpm stop
This will turn it off until the next reboot. Or until you issue
/etc/init.d/gpm start

If there is no file named gpm, try using ps to find the pid and kill it.
i.e:
    mtimony at debian:/etc/init.d$ ps -ef|grep gpm
    root   1994  1886  0 20:06 pts/4    00:00:00 gpm
    kill -HUP 1994

Luck

Mick