3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 8 02:48:42 EST 2002

Hi All,

	I may be in deep this time, can't imaging what will happen on
next reboot.
  To answer Malcolm suggestion of sending more info, I need to know is
there a simple way to copy text in the gunome terminal window, to a
text file,(anything text will do, gedit etc.).

	2:14 AM-8/8/02
	In order to do something today I went ahead and cleaned out
all files in /usr/src. Then unpacked a new 2.4.19.  Surprisingly I
still get "file not found" error on "make dep" after make menuconfig.
The original kernel is 2.4.3 Mandrake 8.0.

	Info:

	from scriptd/mkdep.c:35
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h36:26: linux/limits.h: Npsuch file or directory
make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1

For those who have not followed the thread.....

	 I cleaned out the files (in usr/src) and started it
again(the kernel up-date), now getting started is a problem, any
"make" command yields a "file not found" after 4-5 lines of text. I
did go ahead and use "make -i" for each "make" command and now wonder
if it was a good idea, Malcolm thinks not. At this point I agree with
him. Any one have a clue to this?

1.	Even starting over at this point is likely to bring the "file
not found" error.(it did) I have done that many times.(and again) Soo
how do I copy the text from the terminal to a text editor?(I ended up
just typing it in)

	Better still what is the problem?? Can I "do" "make -i" and
get away with it, given the "Info" from the error message above?

	Thanks,
	Andrew

>On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:35:50PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
>>  Post some more information (like the context just before things blow up)
>>  and we might be able to solve it here. Building a kernel from source is
>>  very common and doesn't normally fail, so it's worth persisting with.
>
>You might also read the excellent description how to build your own
>kernel at:
>
>	http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/kernel_hacking/
>
>(Lesson 1: getting the source, lesson 2: configure the kernel, lesson3:
>compile it, lesson4: boot it).
>
>You did make a make (menu|x)?config ?
>
>cheers,
>
>Sonja