[Techtalk] thanks for all the help!

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Fri Aug 2 12:48:26 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 13:27, David Merrill wrote:
> > OK, now because of your responses I have more questions and want to add
> > additional information.
> >
> > 1)I have the free downloaded version of Mandrake 8.0
>
> You're free to ignore me, but I think you should dig into your wallet and
> buy the latest version from Mandrake, or subscribe to their update
> service for $60/year (I think). It's worth it, and it's the Right Thing
> To Do.

Further to David's email, if you do end up deciding that Mandrake is the
distro for you, you may want to consider a higher version.  I was very
happily motoring along with Mandrake 8.1 not all that long ago, but 8.1
only has ext2 filesystem.  What does this mean?  Well, every time I had
an intermittent power outage (don't ask why, we don't know either, maybe
there are squirrels in the transformers outside!), the Mandrake file
system would have more difficulty recovering from the sudden restarts.
With the ext3 filesystem in 8.2, I don't have this problem anymore.  It
had gotten to where I had to reinstall 8.1 a couple times because of the
file system corruption.  Finally I went to 8.2, and now that doesn't
happen (nor do I have to restart my network services due to the flaky
nic, something got fixed in 8.2!).

I just wanted to pass this on while you consider your options!  I would
recommend trying the distros out and coming to a decision before you buy
one.  I did exactly the same as you - I think I tried different distros
for about 2 months before settling on and buying Mandrake 8.1.

Thanks,
Tabatha

--
Tabatha Persad