[Techtalk] RH7.2 Server Question

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 25 11:43:58 EST 2002

Hi, Samantha, and everyone else,

> *nods* It is set to allow both ssh and smtp connections as well. I
> will double check because I have a bad habit of misremembering the
> ways that I actually set things, but I do distinctly remember setting
> it to allow conntections to those ports because I remember thinking
> how insecure but doing it anyway.

Nils hit the nail on the head regarding sendmail.  I've picked up the
thread late, and if I remember right you are also having problems
getting telnet and ssh connections.

If the telnet and/or ssh connection aren't getting through as well, I'd
ask if you are wrapping those services.  Telnet connections are
controlled by xinetd, which by default *is* compiled against libwrap.
This means that your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny control who
can and cannot use the service.  You may want to check these two files
to insure that you are blocking anyone you don't want to be able to
telnet and allowing those you do.

ssh is not wrapped by default, but it certainly can be setup that way.

Also, telnet, by default, is disabled on an RH 7.2 system.  You can
check if it is enabled with the command:

chkconfig --list | grep telnet

A similar command can be used to determine if sshd is turned on in the
proper runlevel:

chkconfig --list | grep sshd

BTW, if you don't get a listing showing telnet on or off that means that
your telnet-server package isn't installed :)

Assuming it is installed you can turn it on with the chkconfig command
or be editing the file/etc/xinetd.d/telnet.  The disable = yes line in
the file can be removed or changed to no.

If this is too much "connections 101" I apologize in advance.  I never
know the level of the person I am answering, and besides, other people
are reading :)

All the best,
Caity