[Techtalk] RH7.2 Server Question

Samantha Blackmon samanthablackmon at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 13:12:10 EST 2002

Previously, I was having a problem where my server wouldn't accept incoming
mail from other servers.  I now have it set up where (theoretically) it
should accept incoming mail.  But.... of course he doesn't.

I think it all comes back to the telnet issue.  If you sendmail from the
server , or if on it you telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx.edu 25 (the sendmail port),
everything works fine.  From other computers, you get a "Connection
refused/lost" error.

The same thing happens with SSH, the secure login.  It works fine from the
server, and you can telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx.edu 22 (the ssh port), and
everything works fine.  On other computers, you get the same "Connection
refused" error.  Any thoughts on why telneting to these ports might give this
error?  I'll keep looking, but I thought I'd send out a distress signal.