[Techtalk] New to Linux, having problems with mouse recognition in YDL 2.2

Jackie LaVaque buzzygirl at isd.net
Sun Apr 21 22:41:18 EST 2002

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Linux, but I somehow managed to get it installed despite
that. I have an older Power PC 6500 (Macintosh) that was donated to me.
Since I wasn't really using it, I decided to give myself a challenge. So I
had a friend of mine send me Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 on a CD. After a few false
starts, I got it installed. But now I have no working mouse.

Again, this is an older Macintosh, a Power PC 6500, with a standard, older
Apple one-button mouse (is that a PS/2 or USB mouse? I'm not as familiar
with Macs as I am with Win machines). I've posted on this issue in many
usenet forums, but without a successful follow-up. I realize that Power PC
Linux distros are not as popular as ones for Windows boxes, but this can't
be that difficult a problem to solve. I just don't know how to do it myself.

I did take some advice from my friend, who told me how to get into the
Configs and edit the mouse protocol, but that didn't work. I'm still pretty
green to Linux, and logging in as root scares me. So, rather than really
screw things up, I thought I would post here and see if I could get a
response from someone who may have dealt with mouse issues under Linux
before. I think that given that this is a PPC distro, and I'm dealing with
an older one-button mouse, I'm having trouble getting any guidance
whatsoever.

Thanks for your help. Oh, and I did already post this to the newchix list
and got no response there (yet).
I would really like the mouse for now, so that I can get into the X screens
and learn a bit more about the OS from KDE and GNOME, since I don't really
know any Linux commands yet.

Thanks!

Jackie