[Techtalk] Another newbie saying hi

Janet Hoppe platypus99 at home.com
Sun Sep 30 10:02:44 EST 2001

Hi Everyone,

My name is Janet and I am just finishing off a diploma in Computer
Networking and Technical Support at Seneca College in Toronto. I've been
reading all of the comments on the list for the last couple of months
and decided it was time to say hi to everyone.
I took translation in university but decided it wasn't for me. I was
working at a software company and our technical support was pretty bad.
This is how I started to get interested in computers. I wanted to be
able to solve my own problems instead of waiting for the IT guys to show
up. The opportunity for me to go back to school full time came up and I
went for it.
I have to say that the unix/linux courses have been my favourite
subject. Yes it is frustrating to learn sometimes (the man pages just
don't make sense to me yet!!) but I think that it's a challenge and
really fun to learn. I never thought I'd like command line but I do. I'm
actually really starting to dislike windows. I'd like to be a unix admin
when I graduate but I'm not very good at scripting and most companies
seem to want that these days. No matter where I end up I will still be
running linux at home and am in the process of setting up an apache
server.
I just want to say that I've enjoyed the list and I'm glad that people
are willing to help out and answer questions that might seem basic to
them.
For the person who was asking how to learn unix or linux a good site for
me has been: http://sunsite.dk/linux-newbie/index.htm

also the book I am currently using at school isn't bad : System
Administration by Aeleen Frisch Publisher is O'Reilly. I'm just starting
to learn the administration bit and it is tough but it feels great when
things finally work!!

I'm really looking forward to contributing more to the list at some
point in the near future and will continue to enjoy the discussions on
the list.

Janet (-:
All we are is the result of what we have thought