[Techtalk] LBJ (off topic) (was: What is "The Best NIC for Linux"?)

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rtdssmud.rtp.epa.gov
Wed Sep 26 14:33:56 EST 2001

Anne Forker wrote:

> Me too ... (who is LBJ???)
>

> -- Chaney (23)

Argh!  Don't they teach history any more?  Lyndon Baines Johnson, or LBJ, was President
of the United States from 1963 when President Kennedy was assasinated until 1969.  He
presided over the massive buildup of US forces in Viet Nam.  He was President when the
Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was passed, which gave him a green light to send over as much
of the US military as he wanted.  He had complete carte blanche.

The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was recently cited by John McCain and others in the
Senate and Congress as the reason *not* to give a total carte blanche to our current
President in the new "war on terrorism".  They rightly want to retain Congressional
oversight.  Fortunately some of our leaders remember what happened in Viet Nam and are
determined not to repeat history.

If you want to continue this discussion I suggest that we move over to grrltalk.

Regards,
Caity