[Techtalk] Multiple NICs, Bad IRQs?

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 22:38:41 EST 2001

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:01:40PM -0500, Julie wrote:
> [...]
> > And for my efforts, several hundred more receiver errors.  The
> > other machines in the house all get 2 or 3 MB/s when talking to
> > each other.  It's just this one interface on this one machine.
> > I've swapped everything around -- and I mean =everything= --
> > and nothing makes a difference.  Not the card, the cables, the
> > in-wall wiring.  If it's eth0 it gets receiver errors ...
>
> Now, I realise you've said that you have swapped everything a few times,
> but let me just check one last option: have you changed the PCI slot in
> which the card sits (i.e. move it to another slot entirely)? I had a
> similar hair-tearing-out experience a while back that turned out to be a
> dodgy pci slot on the motherboard.
>
> When you tell us that that has been tried also, I will then have no idea
> what could be going wrong. :-(

Yup, that's been tried as well.  Along with switching the port
on the Ethernet switch.

My "last resort" is taking the 3Com card out of the machine in the
den and swapping it with one of the Netgear cards in the server.
My "last, last resort" before I start debugging the device driver
for the card is adding Yet Another NIC and seeing if two of the
three work.  But that's just too twisted to even consider right now.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.