[Techtalk] metric system/transfer rates

Jennifer Davis jsd at jenn.ca
Sun Sep 9 18:21:26 EST 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, ktb wrote:

> I've been searching google now for a half hour and can't find what I'm
> looking for, which is unusual.  Having not grown up with the metric
> system I've never been real comfortable with how things are measured in
> the computer world.  I know it is a simple thing but none of it makes
> sense to me unless I convert to MB or GB and of course I always forget
> the difference between kbits and MB when I'm faced with it.
>
> There are many conversion sites out there but I was wondering if anyone
> knows of a good "quick reference" site for computer metric conversion
> values?  A site that listed ranges of transfer rates for
> network/hardware speed would be a nice find also.  I'll keep looking.
> Thanks,
> kent

Canada converted metric in the late 70s.  I think the process is far from
complete, but we are used to using both, though we tend to favour English
measure in some instances and metric in other.  We tend to use inches and
pounds for food and measuring people.  We use metric for the weather and
driving.

Anyhow, I am not sure about websites, but if it is common measurements you
are looking for help with, I am surprised that someone hasn't written a
metric conversion calculator program.  Sorry if it is not what you
wanted.  At least, I have these written down now.

Here are some conversion rates if it helps.  US ounces, pints and gallons
are different that the UK's, Canada's Australia's etc, so I am guessing on
those.

1 mi. = 1.6km
1km = .625 mi.
1m = 39' or 3'3"
1" = 2.54cm
1' = 30.48cm = 0.3048m

1 oz. = 28.4g
1kg = 1000g = 2.2 lb. = 35.2 oz.
1 lb. = 453.4g

1 oz. = 28.4mL
1 oz.(US) = 29.1mL
1 pt. 20 oz. = 568mL
1 pt. (US) = 16 oz. (US) = 473mL
1 qt. = 40 oz. = 1.14L
1 qt. (US) = 32 oz. (US) = 0.931L = 931mL
1L = 1000mL = 35.2 oz. = .88 qt
1L = 1000mL = 34.4 oz. (US) = 2 pt. 4.4 oz (US) = 1.14 qt (US)
1 gal. = 160 oz. = 4.54L
1 gal. (US) = 128 oz. (US) = 3.8L

To convert degrees celsius to fahrenheit multiply it by 9/5 and add
32.  To estimate, double it and add 30.

To convert degrees fahrenhet to celsius multiply it by 5/9 and subtract
32.  To estimate, subtract 30 and half it.

Jenn