[Techtalk] Internet File Sharing (No, not Napster) again

Paul Hardacre paul.hardacre at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 7 08:20:26 EST 2001

At 07:59 07/09/2001, Kath wrote:

>With a Windows client, would there be anyway to mount a Linux drive
>(specifically one directory) over the internet such that it would be like
>another hard drive and folder (so it would be like you are editting a
>local file, but the changes are done in real time to the server) on your
>machine.
>
>Reason is, I use UltraDev4 and PHPEd for my development and a Linux based
>server.  FTP is rather annoying when deploying changes rapidly, plus
>disconnects and the like.

One word springs to mind, Samba. Allows linux to do windows-like
file/printer sharing, you can map a network drive just like you do to an NT
server, etc.

Have a look at www.samba.org for downloads/documentation/etc. Usually comes
as standard with most Linux distros so installation shouldn't be too bad.

It would certainly be the most seamless solution, but does have it's
security problems if you're running it on an internet connected server,
you'd want to use it's access controls to disallow connections from
anything outside your local subnet, etc.

>Any ideas?  HOWTOs?

There's possibly a HOWTO on samba at linuxdoc though I'm not sure on that
one. The docs are pretty good though.

Hope that helps,

Paul