[Techtalk] fortune

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Oct 30 10:43:28 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:03:33AM -0500, Walt wrote:
> Can you setup mailman to read a "sig" from
> the contents of a file? If so, why not just
> make the contents of that file change
> randomly. For instance run
>
> fortune > sigfile.txt
>
> as a cron hourly or daily job.

Mailman doesn't read from a static file, you set the sig to look
something like:

(There aren't usually spaces between the % sign and the variable, I'm
putting them there in case mailman interprets them.)

I don't know if there's % (output_of_some_command)

I imagine the result of executing this command is placing that sig
*somewhere* in a static file, but it isn't designed to be edited
directly, rather, via the web interface.

Also not that none of the volunteers aside from Jenn and Dancer have
access to the relevant box anyway.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner