[Techtalk] More kernel

Almut Behrens almut_behrens at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 23:41:04 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:33:07PM -0500, Jennifer Davis wrote:

> After some early success upgrading kernels, I seem to again be having
> trouble.  I was wondering what good resources exist for understanding the
> output.  Until I find that magic book, I was wondering what I am doing
> wrong here...

it doesn't seem to be your fault...  There exists a patch since
2.4.10-pre7 addressing the issue, which for some reason doesn't seem to
have made it into the current kernel release.

> cpqfcTSinit.o cpqfcTSinit.c
> cpqfcTSinit.c: In function `cpqfcTS_ioctl':
> cpqfcTSinit.c:663: `SCSI_IOCTL_FC_TARGET_ADDRESS' undeclared (first use in
> this function)

This simply means that the compiler cannot find a declaration of the
symbol 'SCSI_...', and thus cannot continue its build.
The compiler is complaining for good reason: by grepping through the
sources, one can immediately verify that the symbol isn't there...

You can find the relevant patch here, for example:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100322918918301&q=p6

Just save it to some file, e.g. scsi-patch, copy it into the directory
of the linux source tree (the directory where most probably the symlink
linux -> linux-2.4.13 resides), and then apply it by issuing

  patch -p0 <scsi-patch

in that directory -- (you should get two "succeeded" messages).
Then try again compiling...

If this doesn't solve the problem, you might also want to take a look
at some of the other patches mentioned here

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100322918918301&w=2

Alternatively, reconsider your choice of SCSI related kernel options --
maybe you don't really need that exotic feature that's triggering the
problem ;)  (well, just guessing that it might be 'exotic', don't
really know...)  A little experimenting with the config settings might
help.

Cheers,

- Almut