[Techtalk] KDE: the saga continues

Lee Blackwell lee_blackwell at eur.3com.com
Mon Oct 29 22:46:37 EST 2001

> When starting gnome, the message indicates that modprobe can't find
> sound-service, once, then continues with starting other services. The
> kde startup seems to continue looking for sound stuff then crash.
>
> Is it possible that kde somehow relies on the sound modules in order
> to function?
It would if it was trying to play the 'start-up' sound, which is what
usually plays just as the KDE splash screen is finishing it's display.

This is where I had the problem when I broke my X a little while back.

If the sound is the culprit, perhaps try unconfiguring the sound card?

Lee