[Techtalk] Journalling file systems.

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Oct 27 14:30:00 EST 2001

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 09:45:24AM +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, journalling file systems seem to be all the rage at the moment :)
> and I have to say that I would be grateful not to have to sit through an
> fsck every time a circuit breaker triggers.
>
> At the moment, I'm using ext2fs and vfat (I'm not intending to drop the
> vfat, my Windows partition would be unhappy... :) )
>
> I've been exposed to a three way holy war between xfs users, reiserfs
> users and ext3fs users, but not a very informative one.
>
> I'm looking for a good rundown on their comparitive strengths.

A good article was just posted on Slashdot about journaling
filesystems, the `Advanced Filesystems Implementor's Guide'. See
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs.html

It's a six part article. I don't know if more articles are coming.

hth,

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Microsoft is like this intellectual roach motel: big brains go in and you
don't see anything come out."
	--Paul Saffo, Institute for the Future