[Techtalk] Any Bellsouth dsl users in the house ?

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Sat Oct 20 16:30:37 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth jfweber at eternal.net (Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 01:52:21PM -0400):
> gone so far as to contact bellSouth .. who , of course , tell us, they
> "do not support linux" and wont even send us the modem unless we have
> windows something on the box..
> husband is seriously worried that w/o support we wont be able to use it

	Don't worry, it should be dead easy unless Bell South has done
something really screwy with their setup.  Is it just the one computer
that you want to set up with the DSL modem?  If so:

Set your default route to the IP of the DSL modem using the route
statement.

Set your DNS to resolve to Bell South's DNS server rather than what
you've currently got it set to.

If they assign dynamic IPs, set your Ethernet card to be a dhcp client.
If you have a static IP, just assign it to your machine.

	That should be it.  Then connect your Ethernet card to the DSL
modem's Ethernet port with a crossover cable, and whammo.  Usually if
you can get them to give you the instructions for Windows, you can
figure out what you need to set under Linux.  Unless they're doing
anything weird, the above should take care of you.  All you really need
to know are IPs and whether its' static or DHCP.  (And if you're using
them for mail and/or news, your clients will need their server names or
IPs, too.)

	If any of that doesn't make sense or you need
clarification/step-by-step instructions on how to do that, let me know.
(I'm on vacation at the moment, though, so replies may take a few days.)

Ssh-ing from the West Coast,
Raven

"Her lovers queued up in the hallway,
 I heard them scratching at the door,
 I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels, God and angels,
 I don't really know what for.  But she looked good in ribbons."
  -- Sisters of Mercy, "Ribbons"