[Techtalk] kernel upgrades

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Oct 12 10:09:21 EST 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:13:57 -0400 (EDT), Jennifer Davis said:

> For some reason, I am having difficulty with kernel compiling myself.  I
>  have P200 running my server that runs Slackware 7.0 and an AMD-K6-500 that
>  runs Slackware 8.  I can't seem to get the Slack 7.0 machine to run a
>  kernel higher than 2.2.16.  The 2.2.19 will compile, but the PPP won't
>  work.  I am assuming that I may need to upgrade the PPP.  My system uses
>  Bell Sympatico's HSE/ADSL PPPoE.
>
>  On the Slack 8 system, I can't seem to compile the modules on anything but
>  the 2.4.5 that came with the OS.

There's a file called Documentation/CHANGES in the kernel tree which
tells you about the needed software versions, from gcc to pppd to
modutils etc. You SHOULD read this file and satisfy those requirements
- I think the pppd may have a problem there, and maybe the modutils on
the other machine. The file also tells you how to check the version
numbers...

Britta

--
  \ /	ASCII Ribbon Campaign	  britta at silverymoon.de
   X	- NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   http://www.silverymoon.de
  / \	- NO Word docs in e-mail  "My other car is a cdr."