[Techtalk] apt-get failure

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Oct 6 13:20:44 EST 2001

I was installing the new kernel on debian sid, and got this error:

Setting up modutils (2.4.10-1) ...
depmod: Unexpected value (20) in '/lib/modules/2.4.9-k6/kernel/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.o' for ieee1394_device_size
	It is likely that the kernel structure has changed, if so then
	you probably need a new version of modutils to handle this kernel.
	Check linux/Documentation/Changes.
dpkg: error processing modutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kernel-image-2.4.10-k6:
 kernel-image-2.4.10-k6 depends on modutils (>= 2.3.12); however:
  Package modutils is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.10-k6 (--configure):
 modutils
 kernel-image-2.4.10-k6

I get the same error when I run `dpkg --configure --pending'.
Does anyone know how I can recover from this, or what is going on?

tia,

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

I have a nice perspective on what it means to be in charge of the most
important project in the history of mankind.
	--Microsoft project manager Brian Valentine,
	  as quoted in BusinessWeek 02.22.99