[Techtalk] UNIX and the command line.

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Oct 4 12:29:41 EST 2001

I've assembled a small collection of what seem to be fairly useful
introductory guides to UNIX and the commandline, since there have been
several people who are new to it asking for help lately.

You'll find many of these links will contain, among other things,
instructions on using the vi editor. While many programmers like to use
this editor and its siblings (vim, mainly) it is not very useful for
most tasks beginning UNIX users will want to do, and moreover, will fill
your head with commands when the space could be better used for
different knowledge. I'd skip vi until you're getting used to UNIX.

UNIX and the Command-Line Environment - Introduction:
http://www.bpsi.net/~kingery/unix/

Linuxplanet tutorials:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/827/1/

UNIX Commandline HOWTO: