[Techtalk] New to the list...new to linux

Natural Justice Is Blind tara at stratos.net
Wed Oct 3 00:31:18 EST 2001

On 30 Sep 2001, at 22:53, Jenn V wrote:

> Hrm. We have the LUGs and Linuxchix groups. Problem -here- is
> advertising...

Hi everyone,

I'm also a newbie, both to the list and to linux.  I've been trying to
teach myself linux through the use of a variety of books and
websites and just playing with the software.

I have found my local LUG website to be extremely helpful.  I would
never had known about the group if a friend hadn't told me about it.
However, when I went to my first meeting, it was a bit disconcerting
to be the only woman there and to have been asked a number of
times if I was in the correct place.  Also, when I saw that linuxchix
had local groups, I immediately emailed the local contact.  I've yet
to hear back.

I would agree that many people don't realize or know that these
groups are out there, but I think another problem is approachability.
 While the people at my local LUG weren't mean or unfriendly, I'm
not all that anxious to go to another meeting, based solely on my
previous experience.  I'm not sure if that experience is common.

Just my two cents....