[Techtalk] 'nother obvious newbie question

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Oct 2 15:56:32 EST 2001

At 10/2/01 04:02 PM , Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > Ah. What do with a .gz file is fairly obvious to an experienced Unix
> > person... <wry grin> You just do a "tar -xvzf" on the sucker.
>
>Um, no, only if it is also a tar file that has then been gzipped.
>
>For example, if it is Debian-like documentation, which has only been gzipped,
>you get an error something like:

Oh, good point. I don't think I've run into something like that in a while.
Sorry about forgetting, and thanks for the correction and the amplification
on my reply.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Fighting back the tears, mother reads the note again,
  Sixteen candles burn in her mind..."
                                                 --Depeche Mode,
                                                  "Blasphemous Rumours"