[Techtalk] "K"DE

Sunnanvind Briling Fenderson sunnanvind at fenderson.com
Tue Oct 2 18:14:52 EST 2001

Hi, as you might remember from one of my posts last week, I was
looking for a menubar at the top of the screen (macOS style). I haven't
found one yet, so I installed KDE.

While it is fast and nice and all that (and aRts blew me away),
there's something called "Kandalf's tips" which claims that "The K in
KDE stands for nothing. It is the first character in the Latin
alphabet before the L which stands for Linux. It was chosen because
KDE runs on many Unices (and just perfect on FreeBSD)." Why is this
lie propagated? Everyone knows that KDE was originally called "Kool
Desktop Environment" which is plenty uncool.

Is there a reason for this cover-up?

Sunnanvind (one of my first posts to this list was to ask whether the
K stood for Kallisti)