[Techtalk] Vim, mutt, and terminals

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Oct 1 15:00:28 EST 2001

Heya --

	Not *strictly* Linux, but it is a Unix question, so I'm hoping against hope that this is something that they have in common.  [grin]  Fairly recently, I had to reinstall a server of mine.  It used to be Mandrake 7.1, and now it's FreeBSD 4.3.  I use Mutt as my mail client, with vim as the editor.  Some of my correspondents have complained that my mail is now comprised of really, really long lines, and they have to scroll right endlessly in order to read what I'm sending them.

	While I recognize that indeed, I am typing in really long lines, I would think that a decent mail client would be able to insert newlines at the appropriate places.  After all, I haven't had to deliberately press "Return" at the end of every line since I stopped using typewriters.  It seems to be happening for people using Outlook, mostly.

	Since the behaviour has changed since I moved this server over to BSD, there must be something that I can change on my end to get it to display properly again.  My .muttrc is exactly the same as it was on the old server.  Here's my .vimrc:

:syntax on
" :def = map =^? =^H
" :def = :%s/=^M/=^J/
" :def = :%s/=20/ /g
:if &term == "xterm"
:   set t_kb
:   fixdel
:endif
set background=dark
set wrap
set lbr

	Also, Mandrake had some sort of terminal settings where when you did an ls, anything with the executable bit set showed up in blue, regular files showed up in green, symlinks in yellow, etc.  Anyone know how that was done?

	Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Raven

"VI VI VI -- the editor of the Beast."