[Techtalk] Web Logging - Logging individual accounts

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Nov 27 11:40:48 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:29:16PM -0600 or thereabouts, leslie at freakybutt.net wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of a web logging system that would log an
> individuals personal account for example. domain.com/~username . Does

You mean logging web hits? You can tell analog to do this kind of thing.

> anyone know of a system that would log individual accounts and store the
> results in a usage folder in their home directory or something to that
> affect. I was looking into webalizer but it looks like it doesnt do that.

Depends how many users you're talking about. I suppose you could
grep the results of analog for the right pathname after one massive
analog run; or you could have a series of analog configuration
files, each one specifying a different pathname and the appropriate
directory for "where to put the results".

then analog -Guser1 ; analog -Guser2 etc in cron? (Or whatever the
option is for a config file. I should admit it's two years or more
since I ran it :))

This would be fine for half a dozen users on a smallish site. I
suspect it would not be so fine for hundreds of users on a gigantic
heavily-visited site.

Telsa