[Techtalk] non-winmodem PC cards

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Nov 26 19:46:08 EST 2001

Terri Oda writes:
> You've probably long found a good card, but on the off chance someone else
> here's looking, I've had great luck with a linksys etherfast 10/100 + 56k
> modem.  It even says it supports Linux on the back of the box. :)  It's been
> greally grat for me.  Don't know if they still make them, though -- I got it
> quite a while ago.

They still make a 100 + 56k card, but unfortunately they changed the
chip they were using and the new one isn't supported by linux.  It
still says linux on the box, though. :-(  When buying linksys cards
(or, really, any cards) always buy from a place which will let you
return it if it doesn't work.

I've had good luck with Xircom pcmcia cards for both modem, ethernet,
and combined modem+net.

BTW, thanks to the folks who told me that 3COM still makes ethernet PCI
cards!  I'd been misinformed by a salesman who used to work for them and
said they were no longer making cards, but sure enough, 3COM sells them
on their web site and I even found a local supplier.  (Too bad they're
2-3x the price of the cheap cards ... oh, well.)

	...Akkana