[Techtalk] BSD/Linux - firewall questions

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Fri Nov 23 11:38:11 EST 2001

At 04:48 PM 11/21/2001, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
>Get a couple of cheap 486s, install one of the *BSDs with a built in
>firewall. (Ok, Linux can do it too.) Put one between your server and the
>Internet. Put the other between your server and the rest of your
>home network.

I don't want to start a *BSD vs Linux flame war (not that we often have
flame wars) but I'd really like to get folks' opinion on some issues:

I'm likely getting a Fractional T1 in the next couple of months - and it
provides an opportunity for me to totally re-work my network. Right now, I
have a router/nat box attached to my cable-modem, and a (against policy)
web server off of that, running IPchains and snort.

So - my plan is to create a DMZ, with 2 firewall boxes  - and the question
is, should I go Linux, BSD? And is a 486 truly enough to do the trick?

I've never used any BSD ('cept Mac OS X - but I haven't really gotten into
it much), although I keep hearing how secure it is. But I know Linux well,
and if I can make Linux as secure as BSD, which I suspect I can, I'd rather
go that route.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
tech at murrain.net