[Techtalk] Allow all relays through sendmail

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Mon Nov 19 18:30:09 EST 2001

At 04:33 PM 11/19/2001, Jennifer Evans wrote:
>Hey there chix,
>
>New to this thing called Linux and having the time of my life.  I have run
>into a snag though.  I am hosting a few domains for friends and I have
>everyones email configured through sendmail.  Everything works great except
>some of them use a different computer on a dialy basis making them not able
>to relay through the server.  I have gone in and added their host names to
>the relay-domains and relay config, but it still isn't working.  Do you know
>how I would set up for all emails to be able to relay through?

There are a couple of issues here - their domain name, and their IP
address. If you look at /etc/mail/access this is what gives them access to
use the SMTP server at all. Then in relay-domains, you set up the domains
that can be relayed.

Problem is, if they use a different computer each day, then they have
different IP addresses, which is a problem for access. If you *really* want
to let them use your smtp (why not their ISPs?) then you have to set
sendmail up to be promiscuous in relaying, which is a BAD idea.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
tech at murrain.net
AIM:pearlbear0