[Techtalk] Listar/Ecartis and Mailman

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Nov 19 10:51:02 EST 2001

I'm currently looking at mailing list managers. I've heard a lot of great
things about Ecartis (formerly listar) but I haven't seen it in use too many
places.  What do people think about this package? Like Mailman, it allows
for Web-based subscriptions. The Web interface is optional; it can be
completely managed by e-mail (or, for the paranoid, it can be set to be
managed only by editing files manually). I know that Progeny used listar for
their mailing lists at one point.

As far as I know, Ecartis is the only mailing list manager that was
originally developed by a woman. The inventor, Rachel Blackman, is still one
of the primary developers.  Since LinuxChix is a women's org., why isn't
Ecartis used for LinuxChix mailing lists?  I'm not being critical here; I'm
curious as to why. There could be a really good reason for me to stay away
from Ecartis -- I just don't know.

Jen