[Techtalk] NFS gurus, please help!

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:23:12 EST 2001

I had problems with NFS performance a while back.  After weeks of tuning
and trying, the response I got from LOTS of NFS gurus on line was "most
NFS performance problems are NOT NFS problems, they're networking
problems that are more noticable with NFS".

And I know Solaris has traditionally had problems with autonegotiation
with their cards (I had a firewall with performance issues with this;
every once-in-a-while I think it would try to "renogiate" and everything
slowed down).  Go over your network with a fine-tooth comb.  Our NFS
problems ended up being a buggy eepro100 NIC driver that was dropping
packets.

But I'm pretty much just seconding Jen here, so I'll be quiet now ;-)

-Brian