[Techtalk] Fractional T1?

Glenda R. Snodgrass grs at theneteffect.com
Fri Nov 16 18:11:19 EST 2001

> What routers have people used? How much do they cost? Can you set up a
> Linux box as a router for this kind of purpose? Is it a good idea?

Yes, we use a Linux box as a router for our T1 from UUnet.  We put a
Sangoma WANPipe card in an old 486 nearly 2 years ago (rather than buying
a CSU/DSU) and it's humming along just perfectly.

We've also set up T1s with various models of Cisco routers over the past 6
years -- very pricey but excellent tech support.  I think you can get
combo units from Cisco that do it all but it's been a couple years since
I've looked at that kind of hardware so I'm not sure exactly what they
offer nowadays.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(251) 433-0196