[Techtalk] Build it! redux, and AMD woes

Wendy Galovich wendy at scottishmusician.com
Sat Nov 10 07:56:22 EST 2001

I'd definitely second Almut's comments about checking the power supply.
Here's why..

Last winter I upgraded my mother's PC from a 486. The original machine was an
AT, and naturally I wanted as much of an upgrade as possible within that form
factor, I chose Soyo's 5EH5 mainboard and a 500 MHz processor. The board also
happened to have both AT and ATX power supply sockets, which turned out to be
a very good thing, though I didn't pick it for that.

Anyway, replaced the board, processor and memory, and initially everything
was running great... and then peripheral components mysteriously started to
"die". First it was the floppy drive, which worked for about three days, then
ceased to be recognized in the BIOS segment of the boot-up, and the light on
the front of the drive would stay on all the time (and no, I didn't have the
floppy cable connected wrong.) So I replaced the floppy drive, and the new
one worked for about the same length of time before the same thing happened.

Next it was the CD-ROM drive... same routine. Also, I have to mention here
that I'd already replaced the CD-ROM drive about two months before upgrading
the motherboard and processor, because the original had mysteriously died in
the same way.

At that point I was starting to ask myself whether these hardware failures
were mere coincidences, or if there was a common physical component,
connected to all of the failed devices, causing them - and the only two I
could think of were the motherboard and the power supply. I took a guess at
the power supply partly because the drives that failed were actually damaged
to the point where they wouldn't work in another system either (tried that!)
Also, several years ago we had one computer damaged by power fluctuations in
our home (we replaced the surge protectors with UPS devices after that), and
the damaged drives were beginning to look like a similar situation. Last, it
simply cost less to replace the power supply, and *know* that I had a good
one, than to continue replacing other parts as they randomly failed.

It worked - the PC in question hasn't fried anything else since. In the
process I did also switch from an AT power supply to an ATX, since the board
allowed me to do that... at my level of technical competence it was *much*
easier to do that, and replace the AT switch with an ATX than to try to
figure out how to wire an AT and hope I got it right.

Wendy