[techtalk] samba help

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu May 31 18:10:06 EST 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:19:39AM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
ktb thought:
> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 05:39:49AM -0500, Julie wrote:
> > Help!
> >
> > I'm trying to set up samba with my Windows 98 box as
> > a client.  On the windoze machine I do all of the Network
> > Neighborhood crud so I can see the machine.  When I
> > click on it's name I get prompted for a password for
> > file://SERVER/IPC$ and no matter what I enter it tells
> > me "Incorrect password".  I can't find any documentation
> > in the manpages on an "IPC$" resource.
>
> If you don't care about encrypted passwords search the W98 installation
> cd for Ptxt_on right click on that file and select "install."  This will
> cause w98 to send plain test passwords to samba.  You will at minimum
> have to log out of your w98 session or reboot to make the change take
> effect.  Can't remember exactly.
> kent

You should also find a file of the form "plaintextpassword.reg" somewhere
in the samba documentation.  Copy that to the win98 box and import it into
the registry.

OTOH, if you *do* require encrypted passwords (hardly necessary at home
though) you'll need to look at the "encrypted passwords" stuff and
smbpasswd.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  6:02pm  up 12 days,  6:11,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Hobbiton.cod.ie
  6:07pm  up 11 days,  7:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00