[techtalk] samba help

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Thu May 31 07:19:39 EST 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 05:39:49AM -0500, Julie wrote:
> Help!
>
> I'm trying to set up samba with my Windows 98 box as
> a client.  On the windoze machine I do all of the Network
> Neighborhood crud so I can see the machine.  When I
> click on it's name I get prompted for a password for
> file://SERVER/IPC$ and no matter what I enter it tells
> me "Incorrect password".  I can't find any documentation
> in the manpages on an "IPC$" resource.

If you don't care about encrypted passwords search the W98 installation
cd for Ptxt_on right click on that file and select "install."  This will
cause w98 to send plain test passwords to samba.  You will at minimum
have to log out of your w98 session or reboot to make the change take
effect.  Can't remember exactly.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted