[techtalk] Re: rpms r not-so-good and Linux-Mandrake

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Fri May 25 18:24:12 EST 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 05:37:49PM -0400, Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> Hi, Brian, and everyone else,
>
> > Well, when RedHat's up2date software (the things that links into their
> > RedHatNetwork; sounds similar to the above functionality) actually WORKS,
> > it's pretty cool.  Problem is, about half the time it's down :(.
>
> I've found mandrake-update works incredibly well, and is almost always up.
> It too, makes things very, very simple.
>
> You know, I have to chuckle at the folks who are calling Mandrake a "newbie
> distro".  All the Linux geeks here at work (some of whom have been around
> since Yggdrasil or even 0.x kernels) either run Mandrake, KRUD, or both.
> Methinks there is a significant amount of Debian snobbishness floating
> around, not too unlike the Gnome vs. KDE desktop wars.  Why a distro has to
> be un-user friendly to be cool is beyond me, and that certainly is Debian's
> reputation.  Ditto Slackware, which I have run and like pretty well.

OK you talked me into it;)  I'm down-loading the 8.0 iso as I type.  I'm
a debian lover.  I've used redhat for about 6 months and just didn't
like it as well.  I just found the rpm system clunky.  I will give
mandrake-update a try and see what I think.  I might even post a
comparison;)

What are some of the best things about mandrake that I should be looking
for?

I know debian has this reputation of being user unfriendly but I don't
really see it that way.  I also don't see the install as being that
hard, unless you go with the expert mode.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted