[techtalk] Sick of surf and porn addicts

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri May 25 20:49:51 EST 2001

Paul wrote:
>Not really wanting to plug any commercial products but it does sound like
>the only way would be to stick in some sort of filtering proxy that uses
>content-based filtering.. I've not come across any for squid myself but
>the company I work for was looking at a product called SurfControl for a
>short while. It works a bit like CyberPatrol, NetNanny and the like but
>obviously it's for business. I had a quick look on their website just now
>(www.surfcontrol.com) and they also have an email filter which may be of
>use to you too.. Trouble is it only runs with MS Proxy, Checkpoint
>Firewall, etc.. :/ But it looks like it could suit your needs.. :/ We had
>it set up here to sit between our network and the squid proxy, was quite
>effective too..
>
>There may be a linux alternative but I've not come across one :(

Prior to and since the Australian Broadcasting Services Amendment (Online
Services) Act 1999 my partner and I have followed EFA in Australia
(efa.org.au) and learned /all/ sorts of things !!!

One of these things is:

GUILT - the GnU Internet Lust Terminator
http://zem.squidly.org/software/guilt.html

All the best
Jacqueline