[techtalk] Network / Firwall config files for Mandrake 8

Raven, corporate courtesan damask0 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 10:19:54 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth Jason:
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me (or point me to a
> site) about the main configuration files for setting up my
> NIC's/firewall etc.  I know that there's netconf and linuxconf, but
> I'd like to have more control over what they are really doing:
> setting up some config files.

     Your firewalling is going to be kernel-based... 2.2 kernels use
ipchains, 2.4 use iptables.  I'm not familiar with Mandrake 8 -- could
you do a uname -a at the command line and paste the output here so I
know which kernel version you have?

     As far as your network interfaces, there should be some scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts on Mandrake systems that manipulate
those and save the configured values -- I think these are what
linuxconf calls.  ifcfg-lo, ifup, things like that.

     Running ifconfig from the command line is usually the way that
I'll set up an ethernet interface.  You should have a man page for that
on your system -- it's fairly self-explanatory.  The commands usually
look like

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

-- that tells you which interface, its IP and netmask, and whether to
turn it up or down.  You can also use ifconfig to set an interface to
promiscuous (for packet sniffing), all-multicast, IPv6, or change the
interface metrics or MTU.  Lots of options.  You'll then need to add
routing on the machine -- on most boxes, that's a simple matter of
adding a default route, like so:

route add default gw 192.168.0.5 eth0

     To keep from having to configure these lines every time you reboot
(they'll get eaten), you can either put them in a startup script like
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, /etc/rc.d/rc.local, or modify the
interface-specific files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  ifcfg-eth0
is probably the one you want.

Cheers,
Raven

=====
"Passion, hunger, will, and ice cream create their own world
 in which the word 'after' simply doesn't make any sense.
 Ice cream is now."
 -- Starhawk, "The Twelve Wild Swans"