[techtalk] Network / Firwall config files for Mandrake 8

Jason Smith mr_jasonsmith at altavista.com
Fri May 25 09:26:58 EST 2001

Hello all,

I just installed Mandrake 8.0 to be used as a gateway for my home network, because I heard it was really good for newbs like myself.  (Actually I have been working with *nix OS's for about a year now, but it was always as a user on someone else's box. This is my first stint as an admin, which I am very psyched about!)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me (or point me to a site) about the main configuration files for setting up my NIC's/firewall etc.  I know that there's netconf and linuxconf, but I'd like to have more control over what they are really doing: setting up some config files.  Plus I kinda feel like I am being baby-talked by those apps.  I'd rather just know what needs to set conceptually, and the syntax for making it happen.  I am more comfortable working from a command prompt anyway.

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give!  I knew that if I posted this to /. I'd get my head ripped off!

-Jason

--
Jason
http://www.shopping.altavista.com