[techtalk] Hi.I'm new.Postfix/mail server questions...

Michelle Murrain mpm at norwottuck.com
Tue May 22 08:43:39 EST 2001

On Monday 21 May 2001 11:15 pm, Elizabeth wrote:

> > In terms of programming the web mail itself - I guess you can go that
> > way, and it certainly can be a great learning experience - but the web
> > mail clients out there (like SquirrelMail) are really good, and easy to
> > set up. But, if you've got lots of time - more power to you.
> >
> :-)  I'm a junior majoring in Comp Sci as well as Physics.  I also have
>
> an assoc in Comp Tech.  I got the assoc from a small trade school.
> There
> were ten people in my graduating class.  I was the only girl.  Good and
> bad.
> hehe.
> I love Perl. Programming in general is a major love for me.  I'm a big
> geek...what can I say.
> Perl has many modules that make web stuff pretty easy to do, like
> sending mail.
> There's only one script that creates the form then once the form is
> submitted
> it runs again to send the message.  Here's the code to send an email.
> "smtp" can
> also be mail or sendmail, but smtp is the easiest and the most portable.
<snipped code>

That's cool. I love perl myself - it's the language I do most of my
programming in, and I've been doing it for 4+ years (I probably spend 75% of
my time programming web apps in Perl). And using modules certainly makes life
a lot easier. I guess from my perspective, as one who needs to make a living,
is that I need those hours to create stuff I can't find elsewhere, and stuff
I can easily find elsewhere, I use. Were I still a student, I'd be
programming my own web mail client. :-)

Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.