[techtalk] Debian ISO question

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon May 21 22:06:27 EST 2001

> > Howdy gang. It only took two days, but I finally successfully created a
good
> > Debian ISO image. By gosh I am now the Rsync queen. After I burn the ISO
> > file to a CD, what's it supposed to look like? Will it have lots of
files
> > and a regular file structure? Or will it still be a single mondo ISO
file?

> > I burned the disk in Windows, and it made a lovely copy of the ISO file,
> > just one big honkin file on CDR. Is it supposed to do that?
>
> It's supposed do do that if that's what you told it to do :) no, really,
> you shouldn't put a copy of the ISO file directly in the CD as you would
> any other file; that's just a big file, so your software creates an ISO
> filesystem (actually iso9660) which contains a big ass file (it happens to
> be also in iso9960 format).
>
> You need to tell your cd-r software that what you have is already an
> ISO9660 image. How to do that depends on your software; so the next step
> would be telling us which software are you using, then someone who knows
> it can tell you how to do it.
>
> If you do things correctly you should be able to browse the CD's contents,
> and it should have a lot of files and a regular directory and file
> structure. Debian? there should be a whole bunch of .deb files somewhere
> in it too. Once you get that, you can be pretty confident that it's ok.
>
> - Roadmaster

Geez la WEEZ that was a fast answer! Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted
to know. You know how the howtos are- you ask the time, they tell you how to
build a watch. I have Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.5, I told it all the right
things to do and I now have a lovely Debian disk of my very own. I could
have gotten the commercial distro at Cheapbytes for under ten bucks, but
that's no fun.