[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sat May 19 12:56:47 EST 2001

At 5/19/01 06:00 AM , coldfire wrote:
> > I tend to go for spreading both OSs out over both drives.  It's supposed
> > to be a performance thing where /usr is on one disk while /home is on
> > another and similarly for Windows.  I don't know how much gain I get on a
> > home box (probably not much) but I did it anyhow...
>
>never knew it was a performance gain (not being sarcastic) ... i always
>did it out of habit ;P and also for security

It's a performance gain *if* the drives are actually two different spindles
-- two different physical drives. Then, disk reads/writes can happen
simultaneously on the two different volumes. (It's also nice to separate
/var onto another spindle, if you can, since that one gets used a helluva
lot, too.)

Of course, if these "different drives" are just different partitions, then
it can be useful for security and various other things, but has no impact
on performance.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"You wear guilt/Like shackles on your feet;
  Like a halo in reverse..."
                                                 --Depeche Mode,
                                                  "Halo"