[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat May 19 20:49:20 EST 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:04:09AM +1000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Mary Gardiner thought:
> On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 09:00:13AM -0400, coldfire wrote:
> > > I tend to go for spreading both OSs out over both drives.  It's supposed
> > > to be a performance thing where /usr is on one disk while /home is on
> > > another and similarly for Windows.  I don't know how much gain I get on a
> > > home box (probably not much) but I did it anyhow...
> >
> > never knew it was a performance gain (not being sarcastic) ... i always
> > did it out of habit ;P and also for security ... rather than bother with
> > the quota utils, i just insure i don't have any malicious users who try to
> > fill up my disk cause me any trouble.
>
> It's a performance gain if you regularly need to access /usr and /home.
> Putting them on separate physical drives means that the drive doesn't
> have to spin seeking the correct partition.
>
> The most common example is moving large files - it's much slower between
> partitions on the same drive than between different drives.

Interesting something comes to mind there...  What will it cost me to put
/home on an NFS volume over a 4-box 10Mbit network?  It's gotta be slower
than local disk but you get to carry your settings across boxes.  Not that
anyone else in the house uses much more than the "main" computer though.

Conor. (running an industrial strength network for family strength users!
:-)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  8:45pm  up  8:53,  0 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.12, 0.07
Hobbiton.cod.ie
  8:45pm  up  8:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.07