[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun May 20 01:04:09 EST 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 09:00:13AM -0400, coldfire wrote:
> > I tend to go for spreading both OSs out over both drives.  It's supposed
> > to be a performance thing where /usr is on one disk while /home is on
> > another and similarly for Windows.  I don't know how much gain I get on a
> > home box (probably not much) but I did it anyhow...
>
> never knew it was a performance gain (not being sarcastic) ... i always
> did it out of habit ;P and also for security ... rather than bother with
> the quota utils, i just insure i don't have any malicious users who try to
> fill up my disk cause me any trouble.

It's a performance gain if you regularly need to access /usr and /home.
Putting them on separate physical drives means that the drive doesn't
have to spin seeking the correct partition.

The most common example is moving large files - it's much slower between
partitions on the same drive than between different drives.

Mary.
--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>