[techtalk] newbie

Scott scott at talon.net
Fri May 18 15:16:31 EST 2001

Welcome Sue--

At 12:01 PM 5/18/2001 -0700, Sue Jackson wrote:
>I've been a PC user on Microsoft software for 12 years and I'm wanting to
>make the switch to linux on my home pc.

Ring the bell!

>Here's the specifics on the box
>
>Pentium 200mhz
>64 meg RAM
>6 gig HD
>33.6k data/fax modem
>ethernet card
>some kind of proprietary sound card

I think the Mandrake distribution is best to get started, it is a total GUI
install and
usually pick's up the most hardware.  6 gig drive might be a tight install,
so you might
want to be careful on what you choose to install.  The current version is
7.2, but 8.0
is available for download and should be in your local Best Buy by the end
of May.  In
*most* cases it will detect your modem and nic cards, depends on the
chipset of the
sound card.  The Compaq's I have worked with are usually using the ESS
chipset and
Mandrake will detect those.

>I'll be looking for replacements for MS Office software (word, excel and a
>relationship database), Publisher (page layout), Paint Shop Pro (graphics),
>etc.

Star Office 5.2 will be in the Mandrake 8.0 cd's.  Gimp will serve you well
on graphics.
Do not know enough the db that comes with Star Office.  There is a
publisher program
as well as KPublisher and other's.

>Any help you can offer, resources on the web to read up, etc. are greatly
>appreciated.

Send your questions and everyone here seems willing to help out!

-sap