[techtalk] (dumb) Solaris Q

Catie Flick liedra at liedra.net
Fri May 18 10:45:13 EST 2001

On 17 May, Nicole Zimmerman wrote:
> I know this isn't a linux question, but this is one of the few places I
> feel safe asking those silly questions :o)
>
> I installed Solaris (8, the x86 version) on a box at work. I have unix
> experience and loads of linux experience, but none specifically with
> administering a Solaris box. I am having a networking issue.
>
> On the install, it asked if I'd like to use DHCP networking -- I said yes.
> When asked what kind of name services I'd like to use, I chose DNS and
> entered my LAN's DNS sever (for local name resolution and sending things
> to the outside world). In the install, it told me they were not correct (I
> assume by trying to resolve something), but I moved on (these DNS' work on
> every other machine on the LAN, but they are all linux or windows). When
> the install finished, no, it couldn't resolve anything using the DNS
> entries that work everywhere else. SO I tried going into my
> /etc/resolv.conf and changing it to the "old" DNS server, with only
> outside-world name resolution. This didn't work either.
>
> Our network is set up with a DHCP server on 192.168.1.2. This is also a
> DNS, as is 192.168.168.2 (or so the DHCP server sends on to all other
> machines). The machine in question can get an IP and it can ping things
> directly by their IP (outside or inside of the LAN), it just can't
> resolve. The one machine that is static and using the external DNS (other
> than the Solaris box) can ping and resolve (just not the local name
> resolution, obvoiusly).
>
> There aren't any typos in the resolv.conf, I had my husband check :o)

I had a similar problem with Solaris 8 - I was determined not to reboot
the damned thing, but we couldn't find a problem *anywhere*.
It would resolve things fine with nslookup, but as soon as any
*other* program tried to resolve something, it would fail (ping, telnet,
etc).
(We being a reasonable Solaris self-proclaimed expert and me.)
In the end a power outage rebooted the machine & all was well. We just
sort of left it as gremlins or something - if anyone has a better
suggestion though... :)

Catie

--

 Acephali \A*ceph"a*li\, n. pl. [LL., pl. of acephalus. See Acephal.] 1. A
fabulous people reported by ancient writers to have heads.

	 - http://www.dictionary.com
----
http://www.liedra.net