[techtalk] Java

Julie Meloni julie at thickbook.com
Thu May 17 09:47:37 EST 2001

Scott wrote:

> At 02:40 PM 5/17/2001 +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
>
>> Have you tried running Apache+PHP on a Win2k box? Is the constraint that
>> you must be using Win2k, or that you must be "all-MS"?? If the former,
>> running Apache+PHP on Win2k would be a nice non-proprietary solution.
>

> I have run the cgi version of PHP on IIS 4 & 5, my concern and maybe
> this has
> been solved, but the front end piece of this software is client/server
> and I am
> calling a lot of their stored procedures and sql server functions.  Can
> PHP can
> call the stored procedures and functions?

Absolutely; the PHP functions for connecting to MS-SQL are simply
windows (no pun intended) leading into the database.

The list is here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mssql.php

Basically, whatever query it is that you need to issue, if you were
sitting in front of a Windows machine to type it, you'd issue that
through the mssql_query() function.

There are a bazillion little functions (see referenced manual URL), but
the routine goes something like this:

//connect
$conn = mssql_connect ([servername [, username [,  password]]]);

// pick a db
$db = mssql_select_db (database_name, $conn);

//issue query
$sql = "select blah from blah_table order by blah";
$result = mssql_query($sql, $db);

and so on.

if your query uses/references/creates a trigger or other stored
procedure, then knock yourself out...

Check the manual.  It's really simple.  And a heck of a lot faster than
Java, even if it is on Windows.

- julie

| Julie Meloni (julie at thickbook.com)     |
| "PHP Essentials" and "PHP Fast & Easy" |
|       http://www.thickbook.com         |