[techtalk] Red Hat, Quanta+, Bluefish (was: window manager preference?)

Scott scott at talon.net
Thu May 17 11:43:01 EST 2001

At 11:03 AM 5/17/2001 -0400, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
>Yes, but they give you the choice of KDE or Gnome at install.  You can
>install both, but choose either as your default.  I chose KDE and had no
>problems, other than an overwhelming need to rearrange their menus.  Mandrake
>is much better at subdividing the menus and making it so you can actually
>find things.

They do give you a choice, but in most of their documentation they refer to
Gnome,
but I have run both with no trouble on RH 7.  I think on 6.2 you had to go
out of
your way to install, can not remember.  I like the KDE setup in Mandrake
7.2 and
now that I am trying SUSE, the KDE is nice, still experimenting though.

You know, I run KDE but I prefer Bluefish for my web development tool.  More
>features, more cheats, or so it seems to me.  I was surprised when Red Hat
>failed to include either Bluefish or SCREEM (the two GTKish or Gnomish web
>dev tools) in 7.1, but decided to include Quanta+ on the PowerTools CD.
>Pretty weird if they're favoring Gnome.  Anyway, the latest Bluefish and
>SCREEM RPMs work fine on Red Hat 7.1.

I have not played with Bluefish in about 8 months.  The last time I used it
was
under Solaris, maybe I should download it today :)

-sap