[techtalk] Red Hat, Quanta+, Bluefish (was: window manager preference?)

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 11:03:38 EST 2001

On Thursday 17 May 2001 10:58 am, Scott wrote:

> Red Hat seems to favor Gnome.

Yes, but they give you the choice of KDE or Gnome at install.  You can
install both, but choose either as your default.  I chose KDE and had no
problems, other than an overwhelming need to rearrange their menus.  Mandrake
is much better at subdividing the menus and making it so you can actually
find things.

> In addition,
> Quanta+, the web developer program runs best on KDE.

You know, I run KDE but I prefer Bluefish for my web development tool.  More
features, more cheats, or so it seems to me.  I was surprised when Red Hat
failed to include either Bluefish or SCREEM (the two GTKish or Gnomish web
dev tools) in 7.1, but decided to include Quanta+ on the PowerTools CD.
Pretty weird if they're favoring Gnome.  Anyway, the latest Bluefish and
SCREEM RPMs work fine on Red Hat 7.1.

All the best,
Caity