[techtalk] Java

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 17 14:40:54 EST 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Scott wrote:

> I work for an MS all the time shop.  Win 2K Server, SQL 2000 Server,
> etc.  Our clients all have MS set-up at their site.  I am doing a web
> based application in all asp and just got "caught" using PHP.  I was
> redirecting traffic to a Linux server I have running Apache and PHP
> and would do some processing there and then redirect back.

Have you tried running Apache+PHP on a Win2k box? Is the constraint that
you must be using Win2k, or that you must be "all-MS"?? If the former,
running Apache+PHP on Win2k would be a nice non-proprietary solution.

I haven't tried any server-side stuff in Java, but that would also be a
good way to stop your clients being so locked in to MS...

James.
--
"Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

"TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make
any difference if it takes a while to fix it."
		-- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988