[techtalk] ssh slow login

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 17 15:41:17 EST 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:26:36PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:

> When I ssh into this box, it sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for the
> login prompt to come up. Does anyone know why it would take this long
> to display a login prompt over a LAN? The machine has almost no load
> on it.

It's trying and failing to do a DNS lookup on the host you're connecting
from.

A quick way around it is to add the IP address of that machine to
/etc/hosts on the machine you're connecting to.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679      Room: 2.315, E&EE Dept, School of Eng.
Email: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz  or shout loudly